As some of you might know I am not a large fan of gaming original systems but also like to dabble in the dark art of emulation. Yes, I know many purists will soon be hitting the back button at disgust — however I’m of the view that emulation has a location in each retro gamer’s lifetime. Emulation allows you to encounter games in close pixel-perfection you might not ever be able to afford or find and from a historical standpoint it is an excellent way to archive and catalog names that would otherwise disappear.
My pick of emulation instrument is a self-modded first (some call it’classic’ today ) Microsoft XBox. I’ve been asked on several occasions on how to mod an XBox and exactly what a modded XBox is, so within this series of articles I will reveal to you the capabilities of my two components and show you just how you can start getting your ownpersonal.At site https://romshub.com/roms/microsoft-xbox from Our Articles
I chose to use this particular hardware after stumbling across websites run by fans and finding just how large the XBox mod landscape still is and also what a competent machine they’re for emulation purposes. Nearly every emulator ever made was ported to XBox and in most cases continues to be enhanced still further by fans with the inclusion of video sets and artwork. Obviously it is possible to use an XBox as a great networked Media Centre also it does a lot more things apart from but since this is RGC I’ll focus on the subject of retro computer and console emulation.
A modded Xbox is my choice within PC/Mac emulation for the following 6 reasons:
1. The XBox is relatively simple to mod your self (soft-modding a Normal 8gb XBox takes minutes as Soon as You understand how and have the tools/software)
2. The device fits beneath your telly, unlike a PC
3. A timeless XBox is inexpensive, I watched them being sold with a controller for #14.99 lately at my local GameStation. EBay is another fantastic source of cheap XBoxes. I use Macs, have completed since 1988 (Mac Plus, SE-30, IIx) and since Mac users will know we are the poor relation to PC consumers when it has to do with emulation. Contrary to a Xbox 360, the first Xbox is very reliable — almost bombproof.
6. The programmer scene is still going strong and new variants of popular emulators are released weekly
A modded XBox also has the following advantages:
1. Region free games and DVD
2. Ability to run in HD (720p and even 1080p)
3. You can update your HDD to something bigger
4. You can save your DVD films and matches to your HDD and play out there (quicker loading times)
5. Capability to use a mouse and keyboard (great for those point and click adventure games )
6. Enormous development scene resulting in hundreds of ported emulators and utilities
7. Fully networkable over LAN with any other devices you have
8. Great alternative to your PC at a House arcade cabinet installment
9. When the HDD is updated they make decent Network Media Centres (XBMC)